Murrays in London
Isabella MURRAY was born on 05 April 1855 at the Greenhill Cottage near Moffat, Dumfriesshire. She was a daughter of Peter MURRAY and Mary GEDDES. In the early 1880's Isabella worked as a waitress while living at the Annandale Arms Hotel in Moffat. (See photo at right that was taken of Isabella at about this time in Moffat.) By 1890, Isabella was working as a domestic servant for a family in the Kensington District of London.
Before moving to London, Isabella had a daughter named Mary MURRAY who eventually had a large family of her own. It was Mary's children who lovingly referred to Isabella MURRAY as their "London Granny". Isabella MURRAY kept in touch with the family and visited the Moffat area often. Isabella also corresponded with her brother John MURRAY in New Zealand. Isabella MURRAY died in London on 04 May 1945.
Child of Isabella MURRAY:
i. Mary MURRAY, who was born on 15 May 1878 at Greenhill in Moffat. Mary lived with her grandparents Peter MURRAY and Mary GEDDES during the 1880's and early 1890's. On 20 March 1896, Mary married Andrew John Hume HOGG in the Closeburn Parish of Dumfriesshire. Andrew was born on 05 March 1870 at Gattonside in the Parish of Melrose in Roxburghshire. He was a son of John HOGG and Isabella NICOL. Andrew worked as a shepherd and the family lived on the various farms where he worked in Southern Scotland. Andrew John Hume HOGG died on 05 December 1940 at Wandell Dyke in Abington, Lanarkshire.
Children of Andrew HOGG and Mary MURRAY:
1. Isabella HOGG, who was born on 23 May 1896 in the Closeburn Parish. Isabella married Thomas Dickson in a double ceremony with her sister Janet Murray HOGG and Peter KER on 23 March 1928 at the Megget Church in Peeblesshire. Thomas and Isabella Hogg DICKSON had two daughters. Isabella died in 1968.
2. Janet Murray HOGG, who was born on 09 February 1898 at Mount Benger Hope in the Yarrow Parish of Selkirkshire. Janet married Peter KER in a double ceremony with her sister Isabella HOGG and Thomas DICKSON on 23 March 1928 at the Megget Church in Peeblesshire. Peter and Janet Murray Hogg KER had two daughters and a son.
3. Elizabeth HOGG, who was born on 24 August 1900 at Heartleap in the Yarrow Parish. Elizabeth married Milne HOGG and they had a daughter and a son.
4. Margaret HOGG, who was born somewhere between 1904 and 1906.
5. John A. HOGG was born on 18 February 1907. John died in 1978.
6. James HOGG who was born in 1909. James married Peggy MCFARLANE and they had a daughter and a son.
7. Mary HOGG, who was born in 1914. Mary had a son in 1943.
8. Andrew HOGG, who was born in 1917.
9. Helen HOGG, who was born in 1919. Helen was living at Winterhope Burn Farm in the Megget Parish in the late 1990's.