text size
large font

Murrays in Dorset


John Mackie Murray

John Mackie MURRAY, was born on 26 November 1846 and baptized on 25 December 1846 in the Newlands Parish of Peeblesshire.  He was a son of James MURRAY, of Callands and Isabella MACKIE.  As a toddler, John was living with his parents in the St. Cuthberts District of Edinburgh.  John attended the Edinburgh Academy from 1858 to 1860.

As a teenager and into his twenties, John and the family were living at Callands in the Newlands Parish.  Apparently during part of the decade of 1870, John Mackie MURRAY was employed as an East India Merchant.

According to the Birth Certificates of his children, John Mackie MURRAY was married to Felicia BURNESS on 12 April 1879 in Glasgow.  That marriage record has not been located, however their marriage was solemnized at the St. Marylebone Parish Church in London on 16 December 1879.

Felicia Burness MURRAY was born Montrose, Angus, Scotland on 4 February 1850.  She was a daughter of Robert BURNESS, Esq. Writer and his wife Isabella BURNET.

Early in 1880, John Mackie and Felicia Burness MURRAY were living at 24 Dublin Street in Edinburgh.  By 1881, they were living a Springvale Cottage in Ayrshire.

In 1891, John and Felicia MURRAY were living at a cottage called Shooting Lodge in the Ballantrae Parish of Ayr.  By 1901, the family was living at Waterend in the Loweswater Parish of Cumberland, England.  Sometime after 1905, John and Felicia MURRAY moved to Forest House at 16 Ormonde Road, near Branksome Park, West of Bournemouth, England.

John Mackie MURRAY died at Forest House on 23 February 1913.  Felicia Burness MURRAY died at there on 12 August 1931.

Children of John Mackie MURRAY and Felicia Burness MURRAY:

i.  Norman MURRAY, who was born on 19 January 1880 at 24 Dublin Street, Edinburgh.  Norman never married, and he died on 02 April 1905 at The Grange near Loweswater, in the Cockermouth District of Cumberland.

ii.  Brenda MURRAY, who was born on 4 May 1881 at Springvale Cottage in Ayrshire.  Brenda died at Forest House, Bournemouth on 10 August 1929.