Welsh in Tweedsmuir
Humphrey WELSH tenant in Hearthstane
In the early 18th century there were a number of WELSH families, no doubt related to each other, occupying various houses in the Tweedsmuir area. There was a James WELSH in Tweedhopefoot. There was a Robert WELSH at Nether Menzion. In the mid to late 1720's there apparently was a trio of John WELSH's simultaneously at Badlieu, Over Menzion, and Cockiland.
The subject of this web page is Humphrey WELSH who was born about 1685. He was a tenant at Hearthstane (shown at right) from 1750 (and probably earlier) until his death on 10 March 1772. About 1720 he became the 2nd husband of Margaret TWEEDIE, a.k.a. "Gudewife o' Herstanes." Margaret was baptized 28 December 1678, and was the daughter of Alexander TWEEDIE and Marion HUNTER. Margaret TWEEDIE died on 03 April 1772 in Tweedsmuir.
Children of Humphrey WELSH and Margaret TWEEDIE:
i. Jean WELSH was born about 1722. On 19 January 1751, she was married to William DENHOLM of Birthwood, which is in the Coulter Parish of Lanarkshire. William was born about 1725 and died 18 February 1796 at Birthwood. Jean died 27 May 1793 at Birthwood.
Children of William DENHOLM and Jean WELSH:
1. Margaret DENHOLM was born about 02 November 1751 at Birthwood.
2. James DENHOLM was born about 22 April 1753 and died the next day at Birthwood.
3. Nanss DENHOLM was born about 02 November 1754 at Birthwood and died 17 November 1766.
4. Humphrey DENHOLM was born about 19 June 1756 at Birthwood.
5. James DENHOLM was born about 30 July 1758 at Birthwood and died 20 May 1760.
6. Mary DENHOLM was born about 31 March 1760 at Birthwood and died 18 Dec 1761.
7. Marion DENHOLM was born about 24 December 1761 at Birthwood.
8. William DENHOLM was born about 30 August 1763 at Birthwood.
9. Alexander DENHOLM was born about 24 March 1768 and died 22 July 1771 at Birthwood.
10. James DENHOLM who died 02 April 1770.
ii. Alexander WELSH was a son of Humphrey WELSH and Margaret TWEEDIE.