Murrays in Edinburgh
Grace Murray BIRD
Grace MURRAY was born about 04 May 1823 at Hearthstane in the Tweedsmuir Parish of Peeblesshire. She was the daughter of John MURRAY and Margaret GRAY.
Grace was married to David BIRD on 10 January 1851 in the Newlands Parish of Peeblesshire. David Bird was born about 1809 and was the son of Militia Captain David Bird and Margaret Brown.
Grace's husband was a resident of Manchester and that is indeed where David and Grace Murray BIRD began their married life. The family also lived for a time in Liverpool.
David BIRD was a tenant farmer at the Muirlea Farm near Biggar until he suffered paralysis in the late 1870's. By that time the family was living at 64 Broughton Street in Edinburgh where David BIRD died on 13 March 1880.
Grace Murray BIRD, then moved to 1 Gayfield Place (see photo at right). Grace lived there for over twenty years until her death on 22 April 1908.
Children of David BIRD and Grace MURRAY:
i. Margaret Gray BIRD was born about 1852 in Manchester, England.
ii. Grace Mary BIRD, who was born about 1854 in Manchester. Grace never married and died on 27 April 1907 at her mother's, 1 Gayfield Place, Edinburgh.
iii. David BIRD was born about 14 December 1856 in the St. Peter's Parish in Liverpool, England.
iv. John Murray BIRD was born about 22 December 1861 in Liverpool. In Edinburgh, John married Mary Jane Dickson on 25 November 1885. John worked as a Butler and waiter and he and his family lived at 24 Caledonian Crescent in Edinburgh. In 1907 and 1908, John lived at 92 Grafton Street in Dublin. John Murray BIRD died in Dublin on 11 March 1911.
John Murray BIRD and Mary Jane Dickson BIRD, had at least the following children:
1. Henry BIRD was born about 1887 in Newbattle, Midlothian.
2. Alexander (Sandy) BIRD was born 27 June 1888 in Edinburgh. Sandy married Isabella (Ella) Grant McINTOSH on 24 September 1909 in Edinburgh. Isabella was born about 1888. Sandy and Ella had issue including John (Jack) BIRD. Sandy BIRD died in 1955 at 12 Hutchison Cottages, in Edinburgh. (Many thanks to Doreen Baxter for the above information.)
3. John R. BIRD was born about 1890 in Edinburgh.
4. Barbara BIRD was born about 1894 in Edinburgh.
5. James BIRD was born about 1898 in Edinburgh.