Murray of Stanhope
Sir William MURRAY of Stanhope
Sir William MURRAY of Stanhope was greatly attached to the cause of King Charles II, and probably on this account was imprisoned for some time in July, 1655, in Peebles Jail, having been fined in the previous year by Oliver Cromwell 2000 lb sterling for his loyalty. His estate at Broughton was most likely sold to cover the fine. After the Restoration the King rewarded him in February, 1664, with a baronetcy for his signal merit and loyalty, the succession being limited to heirs male of his body. In the same year he acquired from Sir Michael Naesmyth of Posso the lands of Over and Nether Stirkfield. In 1671, he had a Crown charter of the lands and barony of Broughton, which, with a quarter of Broughtonshiels, the lands of Whitslade, and part of Glenkirk, were erected into the Barony of Broughton, with the manor place of Littlehope (its name being changed to Broughton) as the principal messuage. There Sir William had his resident. He married Janet Johnstone, and died about 1688. He was a Member of Parliament for Peeblesshire 1661-63, 1665, 1667. (From A HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE by, James Walter Buchan, c1925-7, vol. 3 pg 448.)
Children of Sir William MURRAY and Janet JOHNSTONE:
i. Sir David MURRAY, b. about 1659, Succeeded to Stanhope. d. 14 Feb 1729.
ii. Captain James MURRAY, d. (Died without issue at St. Germans, in the service (Gentleman of the Bedchamber) of James VII).
iii. Major William MURRAY, Married Jean KINNAIR and had two daughters. Major William MURRAY apprenticed to James Boyd, merchant on 1 Mar 1682
iv. Margaret MURRAY.
v. Henrietta MURRAY, born about 10 May 1661.She married Sir John DALZELL of Glenae.
Mary MURRAY, born about 1664; was married to Alexander MUIRHEAD, of Lenhouse and she died about 07 October 1758.
vii. Anne MURRAY who married John DICKSON of Hartree on 13 December 1692.
viii. Janet MURRAY who married to Sir James NAESMYTH of Dawick. She died 20 Jul 1720.